Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Chip's Fresh Citrus Margaritas


You know you’ve got a true friend when they’ll stand at the counter, practically developing a case of carpal tunnel, squeezing dozens of limes, lemons and oranges for what seems like hours to make fresh citrus margaritas for a party. That’s exactly what my friend Chip did at a summer gathering I had a while back. He made the mistake of telling me about these delicious, fresh margaritas he first had at the bar of the Fairmont Hotel in San Jose, California, after a long, hot day on the golf course. The bartender bragged that he made the best fresh citrus margaritas, and now, so did Chip. Of course, I had to try these legendary margaritas and a party seemed like the perfect occasion. Well, needless to say, the margaritas lived up to their legend and they were a huge hit. Every time Chip finished making one, an empty glass would be shoved in his direction, ready for a refill. He stood there like a trooper, squeezing and shaking those drinks until the mountain of citrus was gone. When I told him I wanted to include the drink in this blog he looked slightly befuddled. “But it’s not really my recipe,” he said. I disagree. Anyone who will stand there for that long squeezing all that citrus has earned the right to lay claim to the recipe. So, for your enjoyment, by way of the Fairmont Hotel, here are Chip’s Fresh Citrus Margaritas. Oh, and just so you know, the next time he got roped into making these for a party, he came armed with an electric juicer.


Serves 1

Juice of 2 limes

Juice of 1 lemon

Juice of ½ an orange

2 ounces premium silver tequila

2 ounces Cointreau or Triple Sec

1 ounce simple syrup, or to taste depending on sweetness of the fruit

Kosher salt, for rimming glass

Lime wedge, for garnish


Rub the outside rim of a glass with a cut lime and dip lightly into a plate of kosher salt.


Combine the lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice, Tequila, Triple Sec and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Tumble in a handful of ice and shake until icy cold. Serve on the rocks, garnished with a lime wedge.

3 comments:

  1. David, although you make us wait an (almost) unbearable length of time between your posts, they are always worth it!
    There is nothing tastier, or more refreshing, in these hot Arizona summers, than a margarita made with freshly squeezed juices.
    Do thank Chip for me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Patty! I know, I know! I wish I could be more diligent in my blogging, but I like to think of myself as a Barbara Walters special that you look forward to a few times a year. I wouldn't want to wear out my welcome ;) Thanks for your comment, and I've already forwarded it to Chip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds ridiculously amazing! Will try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete